Celery juice is highly nourishing, even though some of its benefits are often mistakenly glossed over. For people with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD), what they eat and drink have an important role in controlling their condition. Can CKD patients drink celery juice?
The answer is complex and changeable from person to person, because celery juice is good for some patients while is harmful for some other patients.
People with chronic kidney disease can drink celery juice
The minerals, vitamins and various nutrients of celery are in perfect harmony with each other. According to dietitian, celery is rich in vitamin A, B1, B2, B6 and C, and it is also dense in potassium, folic acid, calcium, iron, phosphorus, etc. Just because of these substances, people with the following conditions can get benefits from celery juice.
1. Swelling or edema: Celery contains active diuretic ingredients that can solve fluid and sodium retention, so as to relieve swelling.
2. High blood pressure: Through extending blood vessels and inhibiting the function of sodium on regulating blood pressure, celery is honored as one best vegetable for people with hypertension.
3. Anemia: Since celery contains rich iron, it can supplement the raw material of red blood cells largely. If you have renal anemia, celery is a good choice.
4. Diabetes: Diabetes is one leading cause of Chronic Kidney Disease. The research reports that celery juice is effective on lowering high blood glucose, thus dealing with diabetes.
People with CKD are suggested to avoid celery juice
Aside from the above nutritions, celery juice also contains a lot of crude fiber. Therefore, patients having some complications had better limit the intake of celery.
1. Gastrointestinal disease: Generally speaking, people with Lupus Nephritis or Purpura Nephritis are more likely to have gastrointestinal disorders. The crude fiber in celery can increase the burden on gastrointestinal tract.
2. High potassium or phosphorus level: As kidneys are damaged, potassium and phosphorus may build up in the blood. If you also have these problems, try not to drink celery juice.
Some other disorders may also keep patients away from celery juice. In view of this, consult the online doctor to determine whether you are the candidate to celery consumption before drinking it.