Dialysis is also called renal dialysis. It is a major replacement for lost kidney function due to Renal Failure. It is of importance in relieving your discomforts and symptoms and improving your life quality.
Kidneys are vital organs human body and they can help filter wastes, excess fluid, and toxins from your blood. Also, they can stimulate the red blood cell production and maintain bone health. In Renal Failure, the complete or almost complete loss of renal function make your kidneys work inadequately. A large amount of toxins and extra fluid build up in body. As a result, a myriad of symptoms will appear such as high blood pressure, swelling, bone disease, etc. When GFR declines below 15 ml/min, dialysis is usually prescribed to you.Back To Top
Dialysis can take over a partial function of native kidneys. It can help remove the macromolecular harmful substances from body so as to relieve some discomforts like swelling and correct electrolyte balance. It has significance in prolonging the patients' life span.Back To Top
Both hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis cause side effects. It is because of the way that dialysis is carried out and the fact that dialysis can only compensate for the loss of kidney function to a certain extent.
You have less energy. It is mainly due to the following causes:
* tight dietary restriction
* the effects that dialysis can have on the body
* kidney function loss
* the overall stress and anxiety you may experience
* insufficient nutrients intake
Muscle cramps is commonly seen among people on hemodialysis, usually in their lower legs. This is due to fluid loss during hemodialysis. If you feel painful, you should consult your dialysis care team. They can prescribe you some medications to relieve the symptoms.
3. Itchy skin
Patients undergoing hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis can develop dry or itchy skin or other skin problems. As the dialysis cannot remove the toxins from your body, the presence of toxins within the blood can cause itchy skin. You may minimise the discomforts caused by skin itching by using moisturising cream.
Infection is a major complication of dialysis. In dialysis, there is an access connecting the inside and outside of the body. Therefore, the bacteria is very susceptible to invade into the patients' body thus triggering infections. The bacteria can spread through the blood to cause multiple organ failure.
5. If you choose hemodialysis, you need to go to dialysis center 2~3 times a week. You may feel you have less time to get thighs done. You have to adjust your lifestyles and disrupt your everyday activities.Back To Top
1. In Kidney Disease, the toxins built up in body include macromolecular substances, middle-molecular substances and micromolecular substances. Dialysis only can remove macromolecular toxins and metabolic products, but does not work in removing the residual toxins. So the residual harmful substances can do more damage to kidney function.
2. Apart from filtering blood, kidneys also function as a part of the endocrine system producing erythropoietin and 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol (calcitriol). Erythropoietin can stimulate the production of red blood cells and calcitriol plays a role in bone formation. However, dialysis is an imperfect treatment to replace kidney function because it does not correct the endocrine functions of the kidney.
3. Once the patients start dialysis, they will not able to get rid of if unless a kidney transplant is performed. Also, with the extending of dialysis, the frequency of dialysis keeps increasing persistently.Back To Top
Dialysis mainly includes two types: hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis.
1.Hemodialysis helps filter blood and get rid of harmful substances with a dialysis machine.
During hemodialysis, you will be hooked up to a machine that takes over the native kidneys to filter blood. Before dialysis treatment, an access to blood vessels should be created to get your blood into the dialyzer. This is done with the minor surgery, usually to your arm. Hemodialysis treatments usually last about four hours and is usually done three times a week. Hemodialysis only can eliminate the micro-molecular harmful substances, but does not work in removing middle-molecular or macromolecular substances. The remaining harmful substances and toxins can do further damage to your kidneys.
2.Peritoneal dialysis uses the lining of your abdominal area as a filter. This method is more flexible. It can be done at home while sleeping and it can free up you for work and everyday activities. Before peritoneal dialysis is performed, a surgery is needed to create access into your abdominal area.
The above are the basics about dialysis. Your doctors will determine which type of dialysis is better for you based on your medical conditions.Back To Top
The NKUDIC states that the patients surviving on dialysis after one year is 78.7%. After two and five years the probability decreases to 64.3% and 33.1% respectively.Back To Top
1. Their diets should restrictive as some minerals are not as effectively cleaned out by dialysis like phosphorus. However, as protein may be cleaned out in the blood in dialysis so the patients usually have a higher need for protein.
1. 2. For people with high blood pressure or Diabetes, they should monitor the levels of blood pressure and glucose regularly to use their medicines rationally.
3. Infection is the second death cause of people on dialysis. In order to reduce infection risks, they should keep the tube sits clean. For people on peritoneal dialysis, they should be very careful when exchanging their dialysis fluids.
4. The patients should never skip dialysis without their doctors' permission or it will cause dangerous levels of toxins to build up in body and aggravate illness condition.
5. The patients should keep their dry weight and weigh themselves regularly in case of dehydration or inadequate dialysis.Back To Top